Thursday, February 25, 2010

Variance is the name of the game

First of all, I apologize to all for not updating my blog in ages. Maybe that has been one of the reasons that I have lost a bit of focus. I dunno! Well this month has been my worst month ever. I started out with high goals and was working like a dog in the first few days. Grinding like never before. I learned how to 20+ table and even run continuous sets. All of this all led up to me feeling like reaching my aggressive goals would be cake. However, I made a mistake. I prematurely tried to move up to the 20's. I had the necessary 60 Buy ins but I know myself and I would have liked more like 80+ buy ins. The reason for that would be to give my self a losing thresh hold that if met, I could easily move back down and continue my regular cash-outs while still being rolled for the $10's. So at about game 450 I moved up to the $20's and then variance hit me hard.


I lost a couple hundred and that is not the thresh hold that I had given my self. I had told my self that I could lose $400 but the losing $ coupled with variance was too much of a sting and I moved back down. Maybe I should have stayed but I don't think it was the right time and so I did what I felt was best. Next I caught a mini-heater and began to narrow the gap between my red and green line but have been have been running way below expectation shorty after that.

There are a few reasons for that. I'm part of a DoN discussion group with a collection of many styles and for the most part this group has been a God sent. We are free to discuss anything and everything. However with such a collection of different styles and players from different buy ins I may have tried to adjust my game a little to much this month. I also downloaded a trial version of sit and go wizard which is a great tool. This tool has taught me a lot. However after reviewing my stats recently I noticed that my steal pct had lowered drastically. It went from around 32% to under 20%. The reason for the change was because I was trying to follow the ranges for shoving according to wiz but found myself being the shorty more often than not.

So I found this all out yesterday before playing and then began to run way above expectation. Then variance reminded me that she is still in charge and I began to run at expectation. Then I had a bad set where I played bad just cause I was tilting from a couple mistakes and was really tired as I was up playing till about 2am. So all in all my results from yesterday may not show great in profits but having found my game again has given me great confidence for the future.

@ RedWiredAces follow your own advice and Shove wide and Call tight!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment